Viewing 6 posts - 7 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hello Again Dr. Corenman,
    I went to the ER this past Friday, the did X-Rays on my back and foot. The follow up with my surgeons office was they were going to send me to pain mgmt. I went the this past Tues morning at 8:30am. A Dr. Walks in and say “Hi what can I do for you today” I said I’m here for pain mgmt. he replies I don’t do pain mgmt I am a spine surgeon. So after I kind of insisted he take a look, he agreed. He sent my down the hall for x-Rays of my back(again) he pulled the disk up onto the computer screen. He then says” well I’m not the original surgeon but I will continue anyway. He sends me back to the hospital for a Cat Scan,which shows the screws on the right side were in fact touching the nerve. By 6pm the same day I was in the OR having a revised surgery. They removed 3- metal screws with a rotating hex thing on the top. He removed 1 rod as well. Also the 2 lowest stitches the put on my from the original surgery positioned between the cheeks had not become infected and turned into a Palinode cyst which the had to operate on as well. So in the past 5 weeks or so I have experience the utmost pain I could have ever imagined. I should be home tomorrow, thank you for all your advice!

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

Well at least you were persistant and finally (hopefully) found the source of your new onset leg pain (screw stenosis). Did the screws that were removed get replaced or did the surgeon leave no hardware on that side?

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
    Rox1919

Hello,
    Persistent yes .. Not like I had much choice. As for the 3 screws and rod that they removed ,that is the only info I have at this time. My husband was in the waiting room alone and when the Dr. Came out of surgery he handed him a cup with the hardware in it. He never thought to ask if he replaced them or left them out. I will ask when I see him on November 3rd. In the meantime I still have right foot and leg problems. My right foot is swollen like a balloon and I have swelling in my right leg up to my knee. On top of that I have no idea what to expect when they remove this bandage. I do have terrible back pain now which was the only good thing I didn’t have from the first surgery. I just want to thank you for all your advise, you were right one from the get go 100% and you have no idea how much you helped me. Thank you again I will let you know the results after my follow up.
    Warmest Regards

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

Nerves that have been compressed take some time to “calm down”-sometimes as much as six months. The medications that are effective for these symptoms are the membrane stabilizers (see website under medications).

If the screws were not replaced, then you will have some motion of the surgical site until the fusion “takes hold” (about three months). I am surprised that the surgeon who took out these screws did not comment about replacement or just removal.

Good luck!

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
    Rox1919

Hello again,
    Well I found out some info. The surgeon did NOT replace any screws and he did remove the rod as well. My right foot and now it has spread up my leg to my knee has edema. Again my surgeon has seen me and said and I quote, I’m not that concerned about it. At this point all I can do is cry. I cry myself to sleep or lack of sleep every night because the pain,throbbing,and the feeling someone hit my big toe with a hammer is so painful you can’t imagine. I contacted my primary she saw me immediately, when she saw my leg she sent me for an ultrasound just to be safe and rule out DVT. Good news with that. The tech who did the ultrasound asked have you ever had your arteries checked. I sain no so the scheduled me an appointment. I went on Tuesday and the Vascular Surgeon asked me a little about my previous surgeries inquiring when and how I came to the point with the swelling. His exam consisted of a few questions then he proceeded to put his first 3 fingers on the top of my foot to feel my pulse. He then said I feel a good pulse your arteries are fine. The tears just started to pour down my face and I put my slipper back on because I haven’t been able to wear any shoes since 9/12/14. And I said I can’t believe what you just did. I come in the check my arteries and that’s what you do? Is this some kind of joke? I can’t believe you are going to get paid for an office visit. I was just here last week in the office getting an ultra sound to rule out DVT and this is what you call checking my arteries. Do I only have one artery in my right foot? And I walked out hysterical crying because no one is taking my problem serious. I know my body and something is wrong.
    Regard from
    Totally Devestated and Extremely Depressed and let’s not forget in unbelievable Pain

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

An intact pulse in your foot does indicate that there is reasonable arterial blood flow. A swollen foot and ankle could mean venous obstruction (the blood flow out of the leg) but that is unlikely with a posterior spine surgery. The ultrasound to look for blood clots was important to rule out DVT.

A swollen foot with pain could be an indication of RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) currently called CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome). I do not have a description on my website but you could look that up on the internet. This could also be an injured nerve root (chronic radiculopathy).

Dr. Corenman

Viewing 6 posts - 7 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.