Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 12 total)
  • Author

In 2008 I had a laminectomy of L3-4 L4-5. Then in Jan 2013 I was a passenger in a car stopped at a traffic light when a van slams into the back of us. Since then I have had nothing but pain. Finally now and numerous epidural injections,and RF ablaision they decide I need to have a lumbar fusion from L4 to S1 with this new cage thing. Sept 12,2014 I went under and 9/1/2 hrs later I was in recovery I wake up and all I can say is I can’t feel my right foot.no No feeling what so ever. Today is Oct 5,2014 so approx 3 was after surgery and I have not been able to put a shoe on my right foot yet. Dr says he isn’t that concerned about it but I have to say I AM!!! it’s my foot it’s still so swollen like shriek, the sharp shooting pain I get are un bearable. To go back I am a 49 yr old female going to be 50 in 3 days and this was not how I planed to spend my 50th but whatever. I was pretty active, I am a former smoker quit 8 yrs ago I have stenosis, hypothyroidism. I had a cervical fusion , total hip replacement of my right hip. I’m a mess bone wise it seems. I guess anything else you will ask me

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

There are some questions I have regarding your surgery. Why did the surgery take 9 1/2 hours? Did a complication occur such as a dural tear that needed repair? Was the surgery performed from the front (anterior) or from the back (TLIF or PLIF)?

For your right foot, do you have full loss of sensation over the entire foot or when you pay close attention, is it only on the top, bottom or side? Do you have weakness of a muscle group or no weakness? See the section on “Symptoms of lumbar nerve injuries” to understand what each nerve does and how you can tell if one nerve causes weakness.

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
    Rox1919

Sorry for the late reply, I haven’t been on my email. As for the 9 1/2 hr long surgery I do not know why it took that long. The surgery was don’t from the back and it’s quite a large scar. As for my knowledge of this earlier I was told I was going to have 2 small incisions one on either side of the lower spine. Unless there was something I can’t remember exactly what he said it was but it’s obvious in my case that the something he was referring too was there or happened because my scar is huge right down the center continuing between my cheeks.
    I know I was in recovery for more then 6 hrs and had to have a blood transfusion because I had lost too much blood, before the surgery my bloodwork came back that my hemoglobin was slightly low I think it was 11 but they said nothing to worry about. In recovery my BP dropped to 70/31. For hrs remained at the number then finally it came up to 81/49. Then they let me go to a room. As for the operating room if something happened in there no one is talking. When I was in the recovery room and I first woke up all I kept saying was I cant feel my right foot. When they took the cover off to show me my foot I was so startled at the size of my foot. The swelling was unbelievable my small little foot was humongous. As for the feeling or sensation well I’m now 3 weeks after and the swelling has reduced a lot however when I take a shower it immediately starts to swell from the warm water. The feeling I am experiencing is so horrific I am crying while I type. To pull the sheet over my foot feels like I’m being cut by razor blades. This is my entire foot not including the bottom because I can walk on the foot.To pin point it exactly it’s mostly my big toe and toe next to that.those two are severe numbness. When the two toes touch each other it’s extremely painful. The nerve pain I’m experiencing now is my entire shin to my toes.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

Your answer has created more questions than answers.

By your original description, the surgeon proposed a “minimally invasive procedure”. While my opinion is not positive on these types of surgery, nonetheless, the question has to be asked as to why this was not completed. A large central incision means that the “minimally invasive” procedure was not initially carried out.

Significant blood loss can also be a harbinger of problems in surgery. Normally for a one or two level TLIF, I will lose about 150cc of blood. For a very large individual with a full scoliosis procedure, I will lose up to 800cc of blood. I use a cell saver to recover this blood to be given back to the patient during the operation. Did the surgeon use cell saver? Did your surgeon discuss why the blood loss?

Your foot pain, numbness and swelling sound like there was a nerve injury during surgery (unless these symptoms were present before surgery). The feeling of “razor blades” and loss of sensation indicates allodynia (painful light tough) which is an indication of nerve injury. Ask your surgeon if there was a dural tear during surgery and if so, how it was repaired. Was there a difficulty with surgery and significant retraction of nerves? This set of symptoms sounds like the L5 nerve.

You are entitled to the operative report which is the surgeon’s dictation of the operation. Read it and maybe some insight will be displayed as to the problems that occurred in the operation. As far as nerve healing, see the section under “nerve injuries and healing” on this website to understand how nerves heal.

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
    Rox1919

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read your last response. First of all you have given me more insight in 2 responses then my surgeon has in 10 apps. Pre and Post surgery. I have made 3 unscheduled visits post surgery to see him at his office and at an office he works at that is more then 30 miles away from me. In such a desperate need to tell him how much excruciating pain I am in and to show him the size of my foot is with this unexplained swelling I have. Yesterday was one month ago that I had the surgery, I am still dealing with excruciating pain in my foot,severe hypersensitivity as well as swelling and the nerve pain is indescribable. The sharp shooting pain and the electric jolts I get as well as the constant feeling of strangulation around my ankle with the tightness it also includes.the feeling of moving my big toe and it feeling like there is a knife cutting me across the top of my foot constantly is unreal. My tears of constant pain is not only hurting me but my entire, it kills my husband and kids to see me this way. I just spent my 50th birthday at home in tears from pain. This is no way to live, even if I accept to have a surgery done and it requires a long recovery I have never felt pain like this. This has been the worst month of my entire life. Let me remind you this is my 6th major surgery in The past 6 yrs as well as an undetermined amount of minor procedures which require anaesthesia. Thank you so much for all your insight. I will follow up with you soon I am going to get the operative report. I need answers to all these questions. Thank you again Warmest Regards Jane

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

You need a new MRI to determine why you have such pain. Get the operative report from the hospital medical records section to determine what went on in surgery if your surgeon is not communicative.

Dr. Corenman

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.