Viewing 6 posts - 7 through 12 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Im a hvac tech,got stuck on 8′ ladder for 45 minutes,the drain pan buckled in middle filled with 30 to 40 gallons of water it was heavy and put a lot of strain on body,had to wait for help,felt pain but continued to work for two weeks thinking i just stained it and got worse and finally had to get it checked out,reason for surgery had on L3-4 broad based disk bulge extruded disk fragment,like i said before pain shooting down thigh and down leg,had set back 8 days later getting out of chair, now i still have pain in thigh,but also major spasms behind thighs shooting into feet also on right side,left worse than right,spasms are brutal for long periods of time,use heat and ice all day long,try taking short walks at times when i walk sciatic shifts left and right,deprived of sleep wake up in pain constantly 1.5-2 hours every night,have to get up and walk around to try to get loose,every single day and night is like this,facet block at L3-4,and esi lt for L5-S1 at same is going to be done at some point what should i expect? insurance company playing games while I suffer,pain meds work on short term,cant copy mri report

paul69
    Participant

Dr. Corenman please just answer this question for me,facet injection L3-4,also esi lt L5-S-1 at same time is going to be done at same point,what is this test going to do ? I need scenarios,if pain is gone for a period of time whether a couple of hours,days,maybe even weeks,bottom line I need this answered,since my set back nothing has improved I’m concerned about permanent damage,I’m 48 years old,have always been motivated,first one at work,last one to go home,always took o.t.,took on call when no one else would take it,volunteer on a weekend to change parts,now being so restricted due to this injury and delay on insurance company playing games on approving procedures,I will get better at some point but please Dr. answer above question,this is very important,thank you

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

Your information is incomplete. You had surgery at L3-4 for an extruded disc herniation and leg pain. Exactly where was this pain prior to surgery? Was it the buttocks to the front of the thigh or down the back of the leg to the foot? After surgery, was your pain improved until the chair episode 8 days later (“had set back 8 days later getting out of chair, now i still have pain in thigh,but also major spasms behind thighs shooting into feet also on right side,left worse than right”)?

Is this new pain different than the initial pain you had surgery for (more intense or in different location)? Did you have new imaging since this new pain started? See the section https://neckandback.com/conditions/how-to-describe-your-history-and-symptoms-of-lower-back-and-leg-pain/ to better understand how to describe your symptoms.

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
    paul69
    Participant

Still need answer for nerve block.Before surgery pain shot down left thigh,outside of leg into foot,cant say whether or not had improvement after surgery as i had set back,im worse now after set back 10 fold,pain in surgical area and mid lower back and spasms in back of thighs shooting all the way to feet,also have drop foot in both feet,again leg worse than right,1-10 pain i’m a 7-8 even on medication,spasms at times are brutal,want to go to e.r. sometimes but all they do is inject you with pain meds and muscle relaxes that dont last long,I have fallen several times due to severe pain,three weeks ago lost some bowel control too,very embarrassing,again waiting for injections….

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

Did the bilateral drop foot start after surgery or before? You need to be more specific regarding the nature of your symptoms. I understand they are worse than before surgery but I need to know where the pain starts, where it radiates to, what intensity and what makes it better or worse. Again, you need to read https://neckandback.com/conditions/how-to-describe-your-history-and-symptoms-of-lower-back-and-leg-pain/.

As far as the proposed injection, If you have it in both places at once, you won’t know which level is the major pain generator. Personally, I would have one level injected separately and then the other level. That is unless your surgeon is proposing to operate on both levels at one time in which case both injections at once would be OK diagnostically.

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
    paul69
    Participant

Went to site but its not letting do anything,but will describe your questions,foot drop before surgery,after set back the right foot too,can barely move big toe and foot,pain starts mid to lower back,have it on left top of thigh,and behind both sides just under buttocks,thighs,shoots down into feet toes etc,also around legs at times feels like a jolt of electricity on both sides,intensity at times is a solid 10,generally have 7-8 all day,whats makes it worse,excessive movement,any kind of bending,twisting,especially if bent over and straighten up to quick pain intensity brutal for a moment,when I go to bathroom and sit to long both legs go numb,sitting for more than 5-15 minutes,driving over a few miles and trying to get out of car,I use a cane,lying down to long and sleeping the pain wakes me up I assume movement causes this,what makes it feel some what better,my meds that I’m tired of taking,percocet,soma,putting on heat that I put in microwave and put under back brace,also i will use ice pad,have a smaller back brace that I wrap behind thigh with heat pad,standing straight up with no movement,slow movement whether its taking small walk,picking something up when i do pick something up have to keep left leg straight as a board,this best i can at this point,as far as blocks go I was baffled why L3-4 and L-5-S1 was being done at same time,but it is being used for diagnostically,I just dont know what to expect,if pain goes away for hours or a week or so whats that going to tell them ? was told to keep log and have been with my other issues,I have a lot of fight in me,want this resolve or at least some improvement that I can tolerate,have a 6 year old little girl that I want to hold again,believe it or not she puts my socks on as I cant,thank you for recent feed back

Viewing 6 posts - 7 through 12 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.