Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Had microdisectomy L3-4 8 days later major set back,got up from chair felt like someone tore me up,fell twice within an hour,lied down ice and heat by next day had to go to er and they gave me shots to calm it down,ct scan shows bilateral spinal stenosis,surgeon disagrees,have to get facet injection L3-4 and esi lt L5/S1 at same time what should i look for after procedure? keep in mind I had fusion in 2000 L4-5 and never had a problem till i got hurt,at this point have pain in both legs,left worse than
    right,at times when walking pain shifts,concerned big time,need an answer,thank you

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

I am unclear why the ER sought a CT scan and not an MRI as the MRI is the study of choice. Maybe they only had access to the CT scanner in their hospital. You need a new MRI with gadolinium.

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
    Donald Corenman, MD, DC

I am unclear why the ER sought a CT scan and not an MRI as the MRI is the study of choice. Maybe they only had access to the CT scanner in their hospital. You need a new MRI with gadolinium.

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
    paul69
    Participant

I should have mentioned mri was done that night,it showed L3-4 has broad based disc bulging mild to moderate left sided foraminal stenosis,but no spinal stenosis also fluid but i assume from surgery,still have pain on left thigh,but also pain in waist radiating behind leg to foot, also on right side not all the time but discomfort is extreme,also when walking at times every step nerve pain on both left and right to feet,i dont sleep well at all wake up often in spams,i often start mt day in early a.m. its horrible.delays in test etc not helping i got hurt at work and insurance company doesnt treat you very good,in 9 years with company never missed a day due to injury,I dont blame my surgeon for my set back it happens I just want this fixed.

paul69
    Participant

I should have mentioned mri was done that night,it showed L3-4 has broad based disc bulging mild to moderate left sided foraminal stenosis,but no spinal stenosis also fluid but i assume from surgery,still have pain on left thigh,but also pain in waist radiating behind leg to foot, also on right side not all the time but discomfort is extreme,also when walking at times every step nerve pain on both left and right to feet,i dont sleep well at all wake up often in spams,i often start mt day in early a.m. its horrible.delays in test etc not helping i got hurt at work and insurance company doesnt treat you very good,in 9 years with company never missed a day due to injury,I dont blame my surgeon for my set back it happens I just want this fixed.Just to add I did get second opinion paid out of pocket too,ct scan shows 5mm space on L3-4,with nerve pain going behind legs too have feeling another level is causing this below surgical area

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

So we need to drill down on this. You had a fusion of L4-5 some years ago. You then had a decompression recently. At which level? Also, copy and paste the radiological report of your recent MRI here. What were your initial symptoms that prompted the decompression surgery and how have those symptoms changed?

Dr. Corenman

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.