Viewing 6 posts - 7 through 12 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Okay, thanks. The steroids seem to have fixed all the pain I was having when I stood in place or got up to go to the bathroom, but now I’m having leg pain (mostly left) that is not positional and can be quite painful. Is it possible this could be lingering inflammation and I need more steroids? My incision looks fine, so does that rule out seroma?

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

You have some migrating leg pain which certainly could be inflammatory changes. I like to have a “rest period” between steroid usage of about 5-7 days. You could start NSAIDs in between and maybe this can clear up without another burst of steroids.

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
    professorW
    Participant

Okay will see what they say. They told me no NSAIDs for three months though since a fusion. Thank you for your input and I’ll update you. I had zero nerve pain in my legs when I left the hospital, so this was really unexpected and concerning for me.

professorW
    Participant

I’m now 18 days post op and finishing second round of dexamethasone and remain on neurontin. I have some days the back and nerve pain are better, and some days they are not (especially on the left). I see surgeon Monday and get an x ray to check hardware. He still believes I am fighting inflammation. If this were a seroma, is it possible i could have one compressing the nerve root but no external signs in my incision? My incision looks fine, but there continues to be pain on the left side that radiates.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

Seromas are not detectable through any observations of the incision. The only way to determine is through an MRI.

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
    professorW
    Participant

Ok. Today I am three weeks post L5/S1 fusion, and at ten days had increased left LBP/into leg. I have had two rounds of dexamethasone with minimal benefit. The back pain is deep and sharp and at times 8/10 in severity. They want me to stop taking the norco, which I have, but the pain is absolutely exquisite. My surgeon’s PA thinks this may be SI joint pain and that I could use an injection.

Can SI joint pain be this acute and severe? Would it happen within ten days post op? I have a call in to the surgeon to ask about next steps, as I cannot manage this 8/10 back pain until I can get an SI injection.

Viewing 6 posts - 7 through 12 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.