Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am wondering about how to proceed after a lifting incident has left me with significant back pain and now sciatica on the opposite side that led me to have discectomy and laminotomy almost six years ago. I had a large central tear at L5-S1 and radiographic evidence of impingement on the right side, but all of my symptoms were on the left. I had a mild collapse after my surgery with symptoms on the right side that were treated with oral steroids and periodic mild symptoms on that side since then.

The central pain I am now feeling after a recent lifting incident feels much like the first times I damaged my disc and I am now experiencing pain in the buttock, hip, calf, ankle and toes. It is not constant or severe, but I fear ramping up.

I have really just started to get my life back and my first experience with treatment ws extremely protracted, along with some PT extension exercises that further extruded the disc. Given my surgical history, is there still a likelihood that this will resolve without intervention, or should I be seeking imaging as soon as possible in the interest of hastening the process toward treatment?

It has been a long time since I have posted, but some of my history is here and I’d be happy to answer any questions that might help. Thank you.

AMWalker
    Participant

Also, is there any increased risk in a second discectomy over the first and should I seek the original surgeon?

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

Your pain could be from a recurrent disc herniation but has some other possibilities. The first thing to do is to obtain an appointment and new MRI with gadolinium. Your original surgeon would be acceptable as long as you feel the results were good.

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
    AMWalker
    Participant

Thank you Dr. Would you be willing to suggest what some of those other cause may be? Are you available for a remote consultation that might be best done once I am able to forward you some new images?

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

Other causes could be foraminal stenosis, isolated disc resorption, new herniation or other level disorders. Look at long distance consultations on the home page if you are interested in a remote consultation.

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.