Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

49 yo female. Prior ACDF surgery of C4-C5/C5-C6/C6-C7 2 years ago, completely fused. I have a long of history of lower back problems. Last November, 2012 I lost the stability in my back and fell. Nothing has been the same and I have been in chronic pain since that day. MRI results show:
    1) L1-L2 there is disc degeneration manifested by decreased disc signal and height. There is a small diffuse bulge with a posterior annular fissure. There is mild bilateral facet joint arthrosis and ligmentum flavum thickening. The central canal and neural foramina remain patent.
    2)L2-L3 there is disc degeneration manifested by decreased disc height and signal. There is a small diffuse disc bulge with a superimposed right paracentral inferior disc extrusion which has decreased in size since prior study.There is mild bilateral facet joint arthrosis and ligamentum flavum thickening. The central canal and neural foramina are minimally narrowed
    3)L3-L4 there is disc degeneration manifested by decreased disc height and signal. There is a small posterior disc bulge with central annular fissure. There is mild bilateral facet joint arthrosis and ligamentum flavum thickening. The central canal and left neural formamina are minimally narrowed. The right neural foramen is mildly narrowed. This level is unchanged.
    4)L4-L5 there is disc degeneration manifested by decreased disc height and signal.with a small broad-based disc bulge entreating bilateral neural foramina. There are Modic type 1 endplate changes. There is mild bilateral facet joint arthrosis and ligamentum flavum thickening. The central canal and neural foramina are moderately narrowed, similar to prior study.
    5)L5-S1 there is disc degeneration with decreased disc height and signal and associated Modic type 1 endplate changes. There is mild bilateral facet joint arthritis and ligamentum flavum thickening. The central canal is mildly narrowed. The neural foramina are moderately narrowed bilaterally, similar to prior study.

So far I have had 2 epidural steroid injections and 1 today in the joint. The pain doctor is checking to see if I am a candidate for rhizotomy. Nothing to date has given me any relief. If this is ultimately going to end up in a surgical procedure I’d like to go down that road now. Is it too early to be considering this???????? The pain is crippling. I can no longer walk up steps or long distances. Is this type of degeneration normal for someone my age? Totally grateful for any assistance that you can provide.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC

Surgery can be helpful if you have failed all other therapies and you are significantly impaired. Timing of surgery really depends upon how incapacitated you are and what surgery needs to be contemplated. See the section on the website under “treatments” “when to have surgery” to understand the timing of these events.

Rhizotomy can be helpful if you had great relief from your facet blocks for the first three hours. See “pain diary” on this website to understand how to determine if these blocks were diagnostic.

You do have multiple levels of degenerative changes with L4-5 and L5-S1 being the worst. You might have a degenerative spondylolisthesis (see website) associated with your degenerative changes. This condition is better appreciated with standing X-rays including flexion/extension views to determine stability.

WIth ‘crippling pain” and one year of failed treatment, you could be a surgical candidate. Look for a surgeon who can answer the questions under “treatments”; “questions to ask your spine surgeon”.

Dr. Corenman

PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS FORUM IS MEANT TO PROVIDE GENERAL INFORMATION ON SPINE ANATOMY, CONDITIONS AND TREATMENTS. TO GET AN ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS, YOU MUST VISIT A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL IN PERSON.

Donald Corenman, MD, DC is a highly-regarded spine surgeon, considered an expert in the area of neck and back pain. Trained as both a Medical Doctor and Doctor of Chiropractic, Dr. Corenman earned academic appointments as Clinical Assistant Professor and Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, and his research on spine surgery and rehabilitation has resulted in the publication of multiple peer-reviewed articles and two books.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.