Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • sastryjg
    Post count: 1

    My Dad is 80 years old with a diffuse annual bulge with a broad based posterocentral and right foraminal disc protrusion and ligamentum flavum hypertrophyindenting both c4 nerve roots indenting the spinal cord causing bilateral neural forminal narrowing (right>left). Subtle myelomalacic changes noted at this level.

    He suffered hip fracture in february (after this diagnosis) No he is waiting due to COVID 19.
    He is not having pain but his fine motor skills for his arms and legs got impacted.

    Is it safe to wait more than two months for surgery. My dad lives in India.

    Thank You

    Donald Corenman, MD, DC
    Post count: 8468

    Did he have his hip fracture fixed? I assume so.

    I would say that he needs cervical surgery but since he is in a high risk group for Covid 19, I would see if he can wait until there is more herd immunity developed. Put him in a soft cervical collar to prevent further cord injury. If his imbalance from myelomalacia worsens (cord injury from compression), the dye will be cast and he will need surgery in spite of the risks of Covid.

    Dr. Corenman

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.