Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • Rachelnine
    Post count: 1

    Just a quick rundown of my diagnosis.
    I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 6 months ago, after ruling out Lupus and rheum. arthritis. I did show positive for the HLA B27 gene.

    Approx. 3 months ago, I started getting horrible stinging, tingling, numbness, and pain in both my arms, mostly elbow regions and down to my fingers, as well as almost complete numbness in my left shoulder blade region. Pain always in my left shoulder blade area, and between my neck.

    Recent xrays say:

    Lumbar and thoracic spine (no findings).

    Three views are presented of the cervical spine.

    Findings: The odontoid is not well seen on the open mouth view. There is degenerative change seen within the cervical spine at the C5-6 and C6-7 levels as evidenced by loss of the intervertebral disc height. There is also anterior and posterior osteophyte formation seen at the C5-6 level. The prevertebral soft tissues are normal, no evidence of acute fracture of dislocation.

    Degenerative changes as described above without evidence of acute fracture or dislocation.

    My questions are:
    1. Do you think the HLA B27 gene is a factor in these findings, and I could have AS (ankylosing spondilitis (sp))? I do not have any other symptoms related to AS (although I do have bowel problems, but always assumed it was due to my gastric bypass).

    2. Should I even be seeing a rheum doc or a spine/back doctor? My rheuma. doctor is out on indefinite medical leave, and my general doctor wants me to find a new rheum. doc.

    Thank you for your time!

    Kind Regards,

    Donald Corenman, MD, DC
    Post count: 8459

    Ankylosing spondilitis causes spinal aching and stiffness. It also typically starts in the lower back and not the neck. With your degenerative changes in the neck (probable age related and genetics but not HLA B27 related), you might have nerve compression (radiculopathy). An MRI would be helpful to diagnose nerve compression.

    A spine specialist would be a good next step.

    Dr. Corenman

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.