Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • cdlasnier
    Member
    Post count: 8

    I have had Sciatica pain for about 5 months now, chiropractor, physical therapy, mild recovery and recently got much worse after traveling on a plane

    MRI shows a significant disc protrusion. Due to the level of protrusion it seems physical therapy won’t help to “nudge” the disc back in and I already not responding to some nerve tests the doctor has tried. he said that my x rays show my spine is healthy and curves correctly.

    In my opinion surgery is the answer (microdisckectomy) over lumbar epidural injection to mask the pain?

    I am fearful surgery will make me worse after reading so many blogs on the internet
    but with the fact that I am already losing sensation in my foot and part of my leg and leg pain is moderate that surgery should be pursued.

    Does this seem like the right decision? I am 29 and fairly active until recently, walk with a limp, sitting is uncomfortable. I have to drive 1 1/2 hour to and from work.

    I hope since the protrusion is so far onto my nerve root that there is still a chance for improvement but at least hope that it doesn’t get worse..

    Donald Corenman, MD, DC
    Moderator
    Post count: 8468

    You report a disc hernation with moderate pain for about five months. You do not describe the level of the hernation. Also, see the section under “conditions”; “How to describe symptoms” to understand what information is necessary.

    Disc herniations do not “nudge” back in. In reality, the hernation is more like toothpaste squeezed out of the tube. You cannot get it “back in” with any type of therapy.

    In many cases, the nerve pain diminishes for three reasons. The nerve accommodates to the herniation by revascularization or some other means, the herniation shrinks down (especially under the influence of corticosteroids) or the hernation migrates to a position that does not cause nerve compression.

    I assume you do not have motor weakness as that is one condition that would push the decision to have surgery immediately. You have had five months of leg pain without relief. There is some information that surgery performed six months after onset of symptoms has less success rate than if performed earlier.

    I think you need to get a surgical consult.

    Dr. Corenman

    cdlasnier
    Member
    Post count: 8

    Thank you Dr. Corenman. I appreciate you taking the time to address some of my questions. I met with a neurosurgeon and due to my ongoing pain, increased numbnessand failing a few nerve tests he tried on my right foot I think surgery is the right option. I have scheduled the surgery with hopes that I can hopefully prevent any further nerve damage, decrease pain and maybe even gain back some of the feeling in my foot and calf again. I can currently only walk about 20 feet before I have to stop bend over and let feeling come back through my leg.
    Although I am scared of surgery this procedure seems reasonably safe and I feel I have exhausted all other options. My husband had the surgery 15 years ago with success. I hear other people talk about the fear of paralysis but this risk seems to be very very low. Unfortunately he is a very popular surgeon so I have to wait two weeks to get the surgery but just taking it easy until then.

    Donald Corenman, MD, DC
    Moderator
    Post count: 8468

    I would assume that the surgeon has recommended a microdiscectomy for a disc herniation. A two week wait is not too bad if you have had symptoms for five months.

    Let the forum know your outcome when you are post-operative.

    Dr. Corenman

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.