Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • seymor23246
    Member
    Post count: 2

    My latest MRI results sound scary and I cannot see surgeon until next year due to finances. I won’t go into issues above L4-L5 but regarding L5-S1 I need to know if I could create futher permanent damage by waiting. Results:

    Abnormal signal intensity involving vertebral bodies and pedicles.

    Degenerative marrow change realted to previous discectomy.

    Possibility of active infection indictes correlation with sedimentation rate and CRP

    Questionable superiorly extruded disc at L5-S1 in the right subarticular region, possibly a free fragment. Apparent disc fragment appeared to be positioned adjacent and lateral to the right L5 nerve root sleeve.

    Severe foraminal stenosis at L5-S1 on the right.

    Please excuse any spelling or typing error. I am miserable every minute of every day. The nueosurgeon who did my previous surgery can’t see me until I can completely pay off the firt surgery so I have had no professional explain this to me. Any education would be greatly appreciated.

    Donald Corenman, MD, DC
    Moderator
    Post count: 8468

    You bring many unanswered questions to this thread. What are your symptoms? What surgery did you undergo, why and when? What were the results?

    Please seee the section under “Conditions”, “How to describe symptoms” to fully inform the forum of what your current situation is.

    Dr. Corenman

    seymor23246
    Member
    Post count: 2

    I’m sorry. Some history would be helpful of course.

    I am 46 year old female. I have never had a serious back injury. In 2009 I began having chronic lower back pain. Within six months I started having tingling, burning and sharp stapping pains in my right leg and foot. I saw two Doctors who diagnosed a pinched nerve. No physical exam or diagnostic tools were used. By Jan 2010 I had started losing control of my right leg, numbness and pain in back and foot had significantly increased.

    June of 2010 I waited in ER for 22 hours. Pain was very bad. I had an MRI and everyone was really nice to me afterwards. L5 ruptured and L4-5 bulging. They set appt with nuerosurgeon for Oct, gave me a pain presription and I went home and back to work.

    Met with nuerosurgeon in Oct he stated phys therapy no longer an option because I had waited too long. Scheduled disc repair for December. Had outpaitent surgery. Went home and back to work. Over the next 3 months I called his office several times to see if I could talk to him because I was still in alot of pain. The pain and symptoms never went away. I doubt this will make sense but the pain and symptoms just moved. Met with his PA twice, had 8 injections in spine for pain. They were not effective.

    After the 3 months I was told that if I wanted to see the Doctor again I would have to start with another consult and pay additional fees because further treatment was no longer related to surgery. So I didn’t go back.

    The pain and symptoms didn’t go away. Pain has steadily increased and I am now starting to lose control of functions that I would prefer not to. My Primary ordered an MRI and those were the findings related to just that disc. There are changes and degeneration from L2 down. No one has explained the terms to me…my primary doc is great I love him but he says he is not qualified to read the results and I respect that. My doctor sent results and referral back to original nuerosurgeon. The did not respond. I called to try to set up appt. First time I was put on hold for over 30 minutes and sent to VM. And second and third. Third time I left a msg asking how to go about getting the MRI (my doctor only had the findings not the actual). I was called back immediately and told to go to the center where I had MRI and could pick up CD which I did. The business office called and left message that no further appts would be made at center until my balance was paid in full. I work full time have pretty good insurance but with the surgery and all the injections there was thousand of dollars remaining.

    I live in a mid-size town with two care networks. The only surgeons who perform back surgery in my insurance network are all located in the same center. My options are to pay off balance and see if I can get someone to explain the MRI and that will take about a year or go out of network cross my fingers and pay double.

    Donald Corenman, MD, DC
    Moderator
    Post count: 8468

    I have more information but I am still confused. What was the date of your surgery? Have your symptoms changes or just not improved? Do you have spasms in your back now that you did not have before? Have you had any feeling of being “sick” (nausea, vomiting, fevers, chills, sweats, feeling tired and generally poor)?

    You MRI may indicate a possible infection and this needs to be ruled out. This surgeon needs to pay attention to you now. It is unacceptable that he will not take your calls. If he doesn’t respond, go to the next town and visit a spine surgeon who will pay attention to you.

    There are three laboratory tests that can help determine if there is the chance of an infection. These are the CBC with differential, the CRP (C reactive protein) and the ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). Ask you doctor if he will order them for you. You might also consider visiting an infection disease specialist. This doctor can help determine if you have an infection.

    If the infection is ruled out, you can start to plan a process that will give you some improvement of your symptoms.

    Dr. Corenman

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.